- Dave Koslo spent several years in the Giants organization. He had short stints with New York in 1941 and in 1942 before going off to serve in World War II.
- After the war Koslo came back to lead the NL in starts (35) and losses (19) in 1946.
- Dave had a good year in 1947, going 15-10 with a 4.39 ERA. He started 18 games (out of 35 total games) in 1948 and was 8-10 with a 3.87 ERA.
- Koslo led the NL with a 2.50 ERA in 1949 and had a record of 11-14. In 1950 Dave was 13-15 with a 3.91 ERA.
- Dave was 10-9 with a 3.31 ERA in 1951. He started and won game 1 of the 1951 World Series. Koslo started game six and took the loss.
- Koslo continued to pitch for the Giants through the 1953 season. Dave was sold to the Baltimore Orioles in April of 1954. He split the season between Baltimore and the Milwaukee Braves before closing out his career with the Braves in 1955.
Friday, April 29, 2011
Thursday, April 28, 2011
- I made a couple of 1952 Bowman Giants pickups.
- Jim Hearn pitched in the majors from 1947-1959.
- He started in the St. Louis Cardinals organization and was waived in July 1950. Jim was picked up by the Giants on July 10.
- Jim went 11-3 with a 1.94 ERA for the Giants during the remainder of the 1950 season.
- Hearn had his biggest year in 1951 when he won 17 games and lost 9. Jim had a 3.62 ERA.
- Jim started and won game 3 of the 1951 World Series
- Hearn was a starter for the Giants for the next several years, winning 14 games in 1952 and in 1956.
- Hearn continued to pitch for the Giants through the 1956 season. After the 1956 season he was traded to the Philadelphia Phillies for Stu Miller
- Hearn was mostly used as a reliever until his release in May 1959.
Saturday, April 23, 2011
Jim from GCRL sent a 50 count box full of Giants cards. Here are the highlights:
2011 Topps Heritage #319 -- Tim didn't have his best stuff today. The Braves are ahead 5-1 as I'm writing this.
2011 Topps Heritage #260. Cain has been struggling a bit lately, but he'll turn it around. :)
2011 Topps Heritage #60. Lincecum before the long hairdo.
2011 Topps Opening Day #64. No foil on the front -- I like it better. Now if they'd get back to cardboard stock.....
2010 Topps Heritage #80. Mr. Wilson before the beard.
Thanks a lot Jim! I'll get a Dodger package together for ya! :)
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
- Mr. Ford was recently called up to fill in for the DL'd Andres Torres.
- Darren made a baserunning mistake in Saturday's game against the Diamondbacks, but it didn't keep the Giants from winning the game.
- This gentleman has some speed.
Monday, April 18, 2011
Sunday, April 17, 2011
- When I got home from a short trip to visit my folks in Phoenix, I noticed that my wife had bought me two packs of the 2011 Topps Heritage cards. I didn't get any "hits," but I did get three SF Giants cards. Thanks!!!
- I'll be posting these cards in a bit! :)