- I was saddened to hear that Rocky Bridges passed away a few days ago at the age of 87. Rocky managed the AAA Phoenix Giants from 1974-1982. I have lots of good memories of attending games at Phoenix Municipal Stadium. Bridges was a popular guy who kept the crowd entertained.
- Here is a good 2011 article about Rocky from the Los Angeles Times.
- My favorite Rocky Bridges quotes:
- "I can't spell Albuquerque, but sure can smell it."
- "Tommy Lasorda's curve ball had as much hang time as a Ray Guy punt."
- Brendan C. Boyd and Fred Harris had a great write-up about Rocky in The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book. Here is part of it:
- "Rocky Bridges looked like a ballplayer. In fact he probably looked more like a ballplayer than any ballplayer who ever lived. His head looked like a sack full of rusty nails, he kept about six inches of chewing tobacco lodged permanently in the upper recesses of his left cheek, and his uniform always looked like he had just slept in it, which he probably had."
Down on the Farm: 6/18/2019
5 hours ago