Thursday, June 11, 2009

Introduction

I've been an on-and-off Giants fan since the mid-1970s. I started out as a Reds fan (Big Red Machine!!!) but I kind of soured on them after they started getting rid of guys like Perez, Rose, and Sparky. I rooted for the Phillies because that's where Pete ended up, but I also rooted for the Giants as well. Their AAA team was the Phoenix Giants. The Phoenix Giants had a motto, "Tomorrow's Major Leaguers Today." It was fun to see the players pass through Phoenix on the way up (or occasionally on the way down).

The Giants had their ups (1982, the Roger Craig "humm-baby" teams of the late 80s) and their downs (1985) in the 80s and early 90s. I was excited to see Barry Bonds come to the team, but after a few years I found that I liked him less and less. When the majors came to Phoenix (Arizona Diamondbacks), I rooted for the D-Backs instead of the Giants. Now that Bonds is gone, I feel like I can root for the Giants again.

This blog will have some stories about the history of the team, some links to new stories about the Giants, and a "team set of the week" that will show baseball cards of yesteryear. Hopefully this will be a fun blog about the Giants.

No comments: