Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Surprise Find in a Box of Giants Cards

  • We had a rainy afternoon here in the White Mountains of Arizona. It looks like monsoon season is upon us!

  • I had some time on my hands, so I figured I'd see what I had on a bookshelf in the spare room.I came across an 800-count box on the top shelf. I had no idea what was in it. I opened the box and noticed that it was a box of Giants cards. Several years ago I won the box on eBay for about $4.00 or so. When the box arrived I just stuck it on the shelf and forgot about it.

  • I decided to see exactly what was in the box. It was mostly late 80s and early 90s cards. My "break" from collecting was about 1992-2008 (at least in terms of buying new stuff), so I wasn't able to tell at first which set was which. The "full photograph" sets aren't as distinctive as the earlier Topps sets were.

  • As I continued to sort through the box, one card leaped out at me. It was a 1960 Fleer Ernie Lombardi. Now why didn't Fleer feature Ernie as a Red, since he had his best years with them?




  • It was a nice surprise. Whoever boxed up those cards about 10 years ago or so, thank you!

1 comment:

Captain Canuck said...

I love finding suff like that.