- Chris Speier was a solid shortstop for the Giants in the early-mid 1970s.
- Chris was the first round (second overall) pick of the Giants in the 1970 draft
- After spending one season (1970) with AA Amarillo, Chris won the starting shortstop job in 1971. Speier roomed with the man he beat out (Hal Lanier) and learned a lot from him in 1971.
- Speier was an NL All Star in 1972, 1973, and in 1974
- Chris had a rough year in 1976. Manager Bill Rigney wanted to start Johnnie LeMaster at shortstop. Speier didn't like being moved to second base. He eventually agreed to the move, but it only lasted a week.
- Chris slumped to a .226 average in 1976 and was traded to the Montreal Expos for Tim Foli early in the 1977 season.
- Speier eventually returned to the Giants to finish his career. His second run with the Giants was from 1987-1989
Arroyo & Morse Power, Bullpen Strong, Beat LA
15 hours ago