- This is Willie McCovey's last Kellogg's card
- Willie also had Kellogg's cards in 1970, 1971, 1972, and 1978
- The 1978 season was an eventful one for McCovey:
- Willie had a contract dispute with the Giants in 1978 and considered retirement in May.
- McCovey went 4 for 4 against the New York Mets on June 10.
- Willie signed a contract with the Giants on June 24. Former teammate Orlando Cepeda was set to begin his prison term at about the same time (see article above the McCovey article)
- McCovey hit his 500th career home run off of Jamie Easterly of the Atlanta Braves on June 30, 1978.
- Willie had some interesting quotes before the 1978 All Star Game
- McCovey had a good stretch in 1979. Mike Ivie started the season as the Giants' starting first baseman, but the 41-year-old McCovey supplanted him for a time in May and June.
It’s the 5th anniversary of the Barry Zito game
8 hours ago