- After 2+ seasons in the majors, it looked like "The Count" was well on his way to a great career. Little did anyone know that his best years were already behind him.
- John injured his ankle trying to beat out a bunt on May 26, 1977 and missed about six weeks. He ended up with a 7-12 record and a 3.49 ERA.
- Montefusco had another ankle injury in 1978 but was able to finish with a better year (11-9, 3.81 ERA, 177 strikeouts)
- In 1979 John tailed off badly, finishing with a 3-8 record and a 3.79 ERA. The Giants were riddled with dissension during that season (they were nicknamed the "San Fiasco Giants")
- John's last year as a Giant was in 1980. He was 4-8 with a 4.37 ERA in 22 games (17 starts). He got in a fight with manager Dave Bristol in the clubhouse. Later in the season John was out for about five weeks with a cracked rib. Montefusco was traded to the Atlanta Braves after the season
- As a Giant Montefusco was 59-62 with a 3.47 ERA in seven seasons.
- Here is a link to John's SABR biography.
Down on the Farm: 6/23/2017
1 hour ago